All for Joomla All for Webmasters

Church History Banner

In March 1958, the Rev. Sidney C. Swann, the Rector of St. Paul's, Petersburg, and members of his vestry met with a group of interested persons to discuss the establishment of an Episcopal mission in Colonial Heights. As an outcome of the meeting an advisory committee was formed and began to function in May. A month later word was received that St. Michael's had been officially recognized as a parochial mission of St. Paul's. On May 4, 1959, St. Michael's was recognized as an organized mission by the 67th Annual Council of the Diocese of Southern Virginia meeting at Virginia Beach. It became an independent parish at the 68th Annual Council meeting in Petersburg on May 2, 1960.

Ground was broken on the present site of the church on September 21, 1958, and the service of dedication, opening the present building, was conducted on June 28, 1959. The Rt. Rev. David S. Rose, Suffragan Bishop of the Diocese of Southern Virginia, officiated at both ceremonies.

As part of our Statement of Purpose says that we are here to be a spirit-filled community to share the good news of God's love and redemption and to witness this love in the world. Since 1958, the clergy and people of St. Michael's have been actively involved in the affairs of our community and our diocese.

Upcoming Events

Sep
21

09.21.2017 10:00 am - 11:00 am

Sep
21

09.21.2017 7:15 pm - 8:15 pm

Sep
24

09.24.2017 8:00 am - 9:00 am

Sep
24

09.24.2017 9:15 am - 10:00 am

Church Photos

Church Location